Perched high above the Apurimac River on a ridge-top, the location of
Choquequirao is truly spectacular. Described by many as the new Machu Picchu,
the trek to this Inca site is a must for more adventurous travellers who want to
escape the crowds. We have built in a whole day at the site of Choquequirao to
give you time to truly explore this fabulous Inca site.
Day 01: Cusco to Chiquisca
Our private bus will pick you up from your hotel for the
4 hour drive to the trailhead at Cachora2800m/9184ft. We load our equipment onto
horses and climb for two and a half hours to the
Capuliyoc pass at 2750m/9020ft. We then descend into the Apurimac canyon for
two and a half hours to Chiquisca, where we camp for the night.
Day 02: Chiquisca to Choquequirao
We make an early start to make the most of the cool
morning and descend for one hour to Playa Rosalina, where we cross the Apurimac
River. We then begin to climb steeply. After two hours we will arrive at the
community of Santa Rosa where we will stop for a rest in the shade. We then
continue to climb for another two and half hours until we reach Marampata our
lunch-spot. A final gentle two hours takes us to our campsite at Choquequirao
Day 03: Choquequirao
We have a full day to relax and explore fully the
archaeological site of Choquequirao with your guide. Archaeologists are still
working here and we may be lucky enough to see one of their new discoveries.
Day 04: Choquequirao to Chiquisca
This morning is all downhill to our lunch spot at Playa
Rosalina on the banks of the Apurimac River. A final two hour climb takes us to
our camp at Chiquisca
Day 05: Chiquisca to Cachora
A final three and a half hour climb out of the canyon
takes us to Capuliyoc pass in time for lunch. Our private bus will be waiting
here to take us back to Cusco.
- Pre- trek briefing with guide on eve of departure
- Professional bilingual tour guide
- Assistant guide for more than 9 people
- Entrance fee for Choquequirao
- Transportation from hotel to start of trail and back to Cusco
- Cook, dining tent, table, chairs and latrine tent
- Horses to carry supplies camping equipment and clients duffel bags
- Drinking water on trail
- 4 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 afternoon teas 4 dinners and trail snacks
- Good quality two man tents
- First aid kit and emergency oxygen
- Foam sleeping mat ( more comfortable inflatable ones can be hired for U$15)
- Extra porter for 7 kilos/15 pounds of personal kit (we include duffel bag)
- Breakfast on Day 1
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters.
What you need to bring:
- Sleeping bag (can be hired at time of reservation for US$20 for the 4
- Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco for a few
- Strong, comfortable footwear
- One complete change of clothing
- Warm clothing for the evenings
- Water bottle
- Flashlight and batteries
- Sun hat
- Sun block
- Insect repellent
- Toiletries, towel and toilet paper
- Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits etc,
- Camera, and spare batteries
- Original passport and your ISIC card
(students claiming discount).
Special dietary requirements:
We are happy to cater for any special dietary
needs. Please let us know at time of booking.
- Sleeping bag hire:
If required these can be hired for U$20 per person. Please let us know at
time of booking
- Sleeping mattress hire:
we include a basic foam mattress but many find an inflatable mattress much
more comfortable. These can be at hired for U$15. Please let us know at time
- We suggest you arrive in Cusco at least two days before your trek to allow
yourself time to acclimatize. The more acclimatized you are the more you
will enjoy the trek.
- Please let us know the name and telephone number of your hotel in Cusco so
we can locate you if needed
SERVICES AND PRICES 2015:
|5 – to more People|
Prices for a Person in US Dollars
We can offer a U$10 discount to students with a valid International
Student Identity Card ISIC and children under the age of 16 years old. You must
send an enlarged scanned copy of your ISIC card at time of booking and bring
your ISIC card on trail.
How to make a reservation:
Please follow these steps:
Step 1. – Click in Book Now and fill in the form with all the information required.
Step 2- We will require a non-refundable trek deposit of US$250 per person confirming
your trek booking.
Step 3 – Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the code of the payment that you made.
Step 4-You will get a confirmation e-mail from us with the conformity of your reservation.